You must have heard about the pickleball game, but you don’t have an idea about how to play it. In this beginner’s guide, you can learn about the scoring, equipment, etiquette, and many other things that will make you a pro.
What do you understand by pickleball?
Pickleball is a game that is defined as a cross between badminton, tennis, and ping pong. How? The players will play on a badminton size court, a tennis net, and paddle just like ping pong. Don’t get it because it is easy to play.
Though, it is a low-impact sport which can be enjoyed by all age group people. The unique structure and rules make this game a wonderful thing, hence its popularity also increasing with time.
How you can play pickleball with rules
Pickleball is a game of singles or doubles player who sill score by serving the team. A team with 11 points having a lead of 2 points will surely win the game.
Scoring of game
The score is divided into three categories – receiving team score, serving team score, and server number. The match will start with ‘zero-zero-two’. Each player has to serve before the serve switches of the other team. Therefore, the first player will serve ‘zero-zero-two’ indicating that they are the final server before the switches. A team scores when there are opponent faults and the serving.
Serving of game
- After making the decision which team is going first, there are certain rules to follow.
- The first service should be done at right-hand court and alternate sides with new serve.
- It is needed that server should call the score before serving and keep both feet behind the backline.
- At the time of serve, it is required that the ball should hit while still in the air.
- The serve is done in diagonal across the court.
- The contact of a paddle with the ball should be below the server’s waist.
- Only one serve is allowed in the game.
- There is a fault in the SINGLES match if the server goes to another team.
Etiquette followed in pickleball
Little competition is good in the game, but pickleball is all about community and has fun. Certain things should be kept in mind while playing.
- Play with integrity
- The exceptional thing about this game is the players can call the shots anytime they want. That means you can give the benefit of doubt to another player.
- Never switch the ball when a ball from another court comes into yours.
- It is very rude if a player walks out in an active game.
This guide is very clear about playing pickleball and if you are a beginner it is best to take Pickleball coaching Coeur d’Alane.